Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Saturday, March 18, 2017

SATURDAY OLDIES

I wrote the following poem in 1975 when my first marriage ended in divorce. My children were three and four at the time.


VISITATION by me

 
They run out the door
suitcases in hand.
Silent, I watch
from where I stand.
How can we pull
our children so?
They cannot decide
which way to go.
Such little children
having to face
a life's remnants
of which no trace
is left except
their existence.
Given no choice,
driven by our insistence.
I am here, he is there,
they are between
A life that won't
again be seen.


EAGHL©1975

Posted by EAGHL © 2017

9 comments:

  1. Wow...that really sums it up doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always sadness even when a divorce is the best option for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You succinctly captured the pain and confusion divorce inflicts on the children. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad, true and all too common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I have been the child of divorce then turned around and did it to my kids. Though I am very glad my parents divorced. Life would have been terrible for all of us if my biological father stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sad poem this week, one to tug the heartstrings. My children were older when I divorced their father, the youngest being already 13 and all of them said "well it's about time"

    ReplyDelete
  8. With love children can survive so much. It was very painful for you, I can tell. We love out little children so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad. My niece's stepdaughter goes through that - she never wants to go with her mother. (Her father has had full custody since she was an infant.)

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com